Two favorite annual events return this weekend as a local museum opens a new exhibit and a family-friendly show comes to town.
Shop for your Valentine at Eve J. Alfillé Gallery and Studio, which features one-of-a-kind jewelry, while enjoying wine and small bites. You might even win an Eve “wine angels” necklace made of Rhodonite.
Learn how to braise meats with River Roast Executive Chef Cedric Harden, who will also share some favorite recipes. Lunch and drinks are included.
Watch Elmo, Big Bird, Cookie Monster, and more “Sesame Street” pals learn about the power of believing in oneself through songs and dance numbers that your kids will love.
Discover the auto industry’s latest technology, designs, and more at this annual auto show. The show kicks off on Feb. 8 with the First Look for Charity, where Misericordia will also host a Pre-Show Reception with cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, and live and silent auctions.
Opens Feb. 9
Chicago Botanic Garden’s annual Orchid Show is back to help you pretend like summer arrived early. Take pictures, shop the Orchid Marketplace on weekends, and celebrate with special events like Orchids After Hours and Morning Music with Orchids.
Opens Feb. 10
The Illinois Holocaust Museum’s newest exhibit is “a poignant exhibition illustrating the pain and injustice of the American domestic slave trade and its impact on enslaved families across the country.” The museum will also offer free admission on Feb. 9, 16, and 23.
More Can’t-Miss Events:
- Marriott Theatre for Young Audiences opens “Seussical” Feb. 8. “This production of ‘Seussical’ certainly will not look like any production Chicago has seen before,” says Director William Carlos Angulo. “In many instances, this adaptation restores a bit of magic in the way people see the world. We cannot wait to share this transformative experience with parents, children, and the theatre community.”
- The 3rd Annual Black Beauty Festival, presented by Victory Gardens Theater in partnership with The Black Women’s Expo and Black Owned Chicago, features black-owned beauty and wellness businesses, performances, and more Feb. 9-10. Vendors scheduled to participate include Chi Town Naturals, EDEN BodyWorks, Entwine Couture Beauty, and Luv That Scrub.
- Chocoholics, rejoice! Feb. 9-10 is Chocolate Weekend at The Morton Arboretum. Sample a variety of chocolates from participating vendors, shop for treats to take home, or purchase tickets for the new Chocolate and Wine Pairing event.
- Celebrate the Year of the Pig during Chicago’s Lunar New Year Parade on Feb. 10. The parade includes marching bands, floats, traditional lion dances, and more.
- Stop by Hofbrauhaus Chicago on Feb. 10 for Valentine’s Kinderfest. Kids ages 12 and younger can enjoy $5 meals and free activities like face painting, Valentine’s Day crafts, a balloon artist, and more.
Make a Difference:
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help School’s Women’s Guilds 1 and 8 are hosting a Dignity Drive Feb. 8-25 to collect hygiene essentials to donate — “because being clean should not be a privilege.” Suggested items include shampoo and dry shampoo, soap, toothbrushes and toothpaste, lotion, feminine hygiene, razors and shaving cream, deodorant, and laundry detergent. Items can be dropped off at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish Center steps or Sharing Room (east side), or you can purchase items from the Amazon Wish List.
- Dine at Depot Nuevo on Feb. 11, when 50 percent of the bar revenue will support Giving Rocks to fund pediatric cancer and Langerhan’s Cell Histiocytosis (LCH) research.
Anna Carlson writes the weekly Weekend 101 column and monthly Recommended Events. A graduate of the University of Missouri, her work has been published in Chicago Parent, Inside Columbia Magazine, and Central California Parent Magazine. She is a proud supporter of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.