This weekend, don’t miss the newest exhibit at Kohl Children’s Museum, a favorite annual foodie event at Millennium Park, an outdoor art festival in Northbrook and a returning art expo in Chicago, a fall festival at Lincoln Park Zoo, and more.
Opens Sept. 25
Beloved children’s books come to life in this 3D and bilingual (English and Spanish) traveling exhibit opening at Kohl Children’s Museum this week. Interactive learning experiences are based on books “The Tale of Peter Rabbit,” “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie,” “The Snowy Day,” “Abuela,” “Where’s Spot?,” “Chicka Chicka Boom Boom,” and “Tuesday.”
Bon Appétit’s annual culinary extravaganza is back with an impressive lineup including Rick Bayless, Graham Elliot, Duff Goldman, Carla Hall, Stephanie Izard, Jeff Mauro, Alpana Singh, and more. Don’t miss live demonstrations, seminars, tastings, special events, and more all weekend long.
More than 50 Midwest artists are set to paint outdoors during this second annual festival. Stop by to watch them work and to catch quick paint competitions. Plus, guests can enjoy demonstrations, live music, and a live radio broadcast.
The seventh EXPO CHICAGO, the International Exposition of Contemporary and Modern Art, returns to Navy Pier with 135 galleries from 27 countries. The expo also features a variety of programs including /Dialogues (panel discussions and conversations) and EXPO VIDEO (screenings of film, video, and new media works).
Lincoln Park Zoo’s fourth Fall Fest returns with a pumpkin patch, professional pumpkin carvers, music, animal chats, a Ferris wheel, corn maze, corn pool, and more. Fall Fest runs Fridays through Sundays, Sept. 28 to Oct. 28, and Monday, Oct. 8.
More Can’t-Miss Events:
- Art on theMART, “the world’s largest permanent digital art projection,” will project contemporary artworks onto theMART’s river-facing façade (the size of two football fields) beginning Sept. 29. The public unveiling event will feature a DJ, food trucks, and a Lantern Procession.
- PAWS Chicago’s Angels with Tails Highland Park event on Sept. 29 will introduce the public to dozens of adoptable puppies, dogs, kittens, and cats.
- Anna and Elsa will take to the ice along with Kristoff, Sven, and everyone’s favorite snowman Olaf Sept. 27-30 as Disney on Ice this time brings the full story of Frozen to Rosemont’s Allstate Arena. And don’t worry, there will still be plenty of special appearances by your other favorite Disney pals, including Mickey, Minnie, Buzz and Woody!
- Chicago Japanese Matsuri is a new Japanese festival hosted by Kizuki Ramen & Izakaya and the Japanese Culture Center. Stop by the NEWCITY Plaza in Lincoln Park on Sept. 29 to enjoy food and drink from more than 30 vendors and performances.
- Randolph Street Market’s summer outdoor series ends with a “Fall Fashion and Home Preview” Sept. 29-30. Discover the hottest fall fashion trends while also shopping cozy accessories for your home. Plus, if you purchase an item marked for the “Editor’s and Designer’s Choice for Charity,” a portion of proceeds will go to that tastemaker’s charity of choice.
More from Make It Better:
- 5 Books to Add to Your Fall Reading List
- 7 Out-of-the-Box Ideas for a Memorable Chicago Date Night
- EXPO CHICAGO’s Year 7 is Heaven for Contemporary Art Lovers
Anna Carlson writes the weekly Weekend 101 column and monthly Recommended Events. A graduate of the University of Missouri, her work has been published in Chicago Parent, Inside Columbia Magazine, and Central California Parent Magazine. She is a proud supporter of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.