Festival season continues with a taco and tamale fest in Pilsen and a craft beer and pizza fest in West Lakeview. Plus, shop amazing deals in Evanston, discover a new favorite artist, and more.
If you’re looking for the perfect gift or are already thinking about what your family needs for the upcoming school year, shop local during this annual sidewalk sale and receive 20-70 percent off. Participating businesses include Gracie’s, Maya Papaya & Tony Macarony, and Stella.
- Need even more retail therapy? The 2019 Winnetka-Northfield Sidewalk Sale (July 17-20 for Northfield districts and July 19-20 for Winnetka districts) features more than 130 merchants and vendors selling items at a discount.
Don’t miss this free art festival on Michigan Avenue near the Chicago River. Shop paintings, jewelry, photography, and more from more than 65 juried artists.
Head out to Pilsen for authentic tacos and tamales, art installations, vendors, music and dance performances, a beer garden, and more. The $5 suggested donation will benefit the Frida Kahlo Community Organization.
Sample craft beers from more than 35 breweries while also enjoying pizza (a new addition to this year’s festival) from local restaurants and live music.
More Can’t-Miss Events:
- Cheer on the Chicago Bandits, Chicagoland’s National Pro Fastpitch softball team, during “Friends” Night (July 19) and “Star Wars” Night (July 20).
- The Lake Forest Police Department’s annual Bike Rodeo is July 20. Be there as nine foster children receive their first bikes; meet the department’s K9, Chase; go through a bike challenge course; learn bike safety tips; watch Waukegan BMX racers do tricks; get up close to city and fire trucks at the Touch a Truck display; and more. The first 200 participants will receive bike helmets, and participating charities include Fill a Heart 4 Kids, LEAD, CROYA, and A Safe Place.
- Shop ’til you drop at Vintage Garage Evanston on July 21. This event features vintage clothes, jewelry, furniture, home decor, and more.
- Don’t miss the Chinatown Summer Fair on July 21 with a Lion Dance procession, cultural performances, a children’s area, and more.
Anna Carlson writes the weekly Weekend 101 column and monthly Recommended Events. A graduate of the University of Missouri, her work has been published in Chicago Parent, Inside Columbia Magazine, and Central California Parent Magazine. She is a proud supporter of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.