When the autumn wind starts to blow, I reach for a cozy sweater and a bag of lentils.
No, seriously! Nothing says fall cooking to me like legumes. Hearty and heart healthy, they’re a go-to food in our family.
This lentil recipe from Pereg Gourmet is everything I want from a hearty vegetarian stew: lentils, sweet potatoes, garlic, kale and warm spices combine for a dish that makes you say, “Ahhhhh!” Pair it with a salad with apples, gorgonzola and toasted walnuts, add some crusty pita bread and enjoy!
Autumn Lentils with Sweet Potatoes and Kale
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely diced white onion
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced, about 1/2 cup
- 1 pound sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1/4-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup Pereg Gourmet Autumn Blend Lentils*, rinsed
- 2 1/3 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups dinosaur kale, washed well, de-stemmed and cut into pieces
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- Pita bread for serving
1. Heat extra-virgin olive oil in a 4-quart heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
2. Add onion, carrot and sweet potato with 1/4 teaspoon salt and sauté until the onions are translucent and carrots and sweet potatoes and slightly soft, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Then add garlic, cumin and all spice, stir and cook for one more minute.
3. Add lentils and stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium low and simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until lentils are tender and have absorbed most of the liquid. Add extra stock if needed. Season with salt to taste. Stir in kale and cook until kale wilts.
4. Garnish with cilantro and serve with pita bread.