Go Greek tonight with this flavorful, authentic dish.
- 4 spicy sausages, sliced thick (Greek sausage, Italian or chorizo)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large green bell peppers
- 2 large yellow bell peppers
- 4 long sweet red peppers, marinated
- 2 red chili peppers, coarsely chopped
- 2 banana peppers, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes, puréed in a processor (or 14-ounce canned puréed tomatoes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dry red wine (we use Greek Agiorgitiko)
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Add a little olive oil to a pan and sauté the sausage pieces until they brown, about 5 minutes.
2. Transfer the sausage to a bowl, and add the bell peppers to the pan. Stir-fry until they begin soften, then add the chopped red and banana peppers. Cook for another 2 minutes.
3. Transfer the peppers to a bowl, and add the pureed tomatoes to the pan. Let it thicken a bit, then add the tomato paste, a bit more olive oil, and wine. Cook for a few more minutes at a higher temperature.
4. Finally, when it thickens well, add back the peppers and sausage. Stir it all together and increase the temperature until it boils. Reduce to a simmer and cover for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
566 Chestnut St.