Nurture is dedicated to teaching children, families and communities how to make healthy and affordable choices when it comes to food.
You can join Nurture on Saturday, Sept. 28 in Winnetka for their annual Nosh for Nurture event. Enjoy appetizers, drinks and cooking demos from local chefs. Featured chefs and restaurants include: Big Bowl, Valerie Bolon and John Trueman. One hundred percent of proceeds will support Nurture programs.
Until then, try one of Nurture’s recipes with your family.
Nurture’s Black Bean and Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup uncooked red or regular quinoa
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 or 2 limes (1-2T) plus zest of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon each ground cumin, chili powder and salt
1. Rinse quinoa well.
2. Cook quinoa according to package directions.
3. Combine cooked quinoa and all other ingredients.
4. Mix well and enjoy!
Nurture estimates this recipe has 278 calories per 1 cup serving and will cost $1.33 per serving.