Be the most popular person at your Super Bowl viewing party with this brilliant dip.
It’s everything a football fan could want—the flavor of Buffalo chicken wings (without the greasy fingers), beer, cheese—and served bubbly and warm in a bread bowl. Plus, it’s easy to make. We can’t guarantee your team will win the game, but we can promise not a bit of this dip will be left sitting on the buffet.
Buffalo Chicken Cheese Dip
- 1 round loaf sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons canola or safflower oil
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into small pieces
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 16 ounces cream cheese (2 packages)*
- 2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided*
- 1/3 cup hot sauce (Frank’s is the Buffalo tradition)
- 2/3 cup beer
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a serrated knife, cut out the middle of the bread loaf and use your fingers to hollow. You want to leave a 1-inch border. Rub the inside of the bowl with olive oil and put in the oven for about 10 minutes until toasted. Cut up the larger scraps into oversized cubes and toast for dippers. Save the small scraps for breadcrumbs or croutons.
2. Sauté the chicken in the canola oil until browned; about 5 minutes. Set aside.
3. In a food processor, add sour cream, cream cheese, Parmesan, hot sauce, beer, garlic powder and cornstarch. Process for about 1 minute until well blended.
4. Stir in the chicken and pour into the bread bowl, which is already on a cookie sheet. Any extra can go in an oven-safe casserole. Turn oven down to 350 degrees and bake until the dip is warm and bubbly; about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with blue cheese and serve with chips, celery sticks and pretzels.
* This dip is rich, so I used lower-fat Neufchatel cheese and it worked fine. You need full-fat sour cream, however. And don’t pull out your expensive Parmigiano Reggiano. The taste will be lost. The pre-shredded Parmesan in a tub is fine.