Here’s a perfect holiday baking recipe from Chef Dana Herbert, winner of TLC’s “Next Great Baker.”
The show is judged by “Cake Boss” Buddy Valastro.
Yields 6 dozen
- 2 cups butter
- 4 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 cups flour
- 4 eggs
1. Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer. Add the vanilla extract.
2. Slowly add the eggs, one at a time, while mixing.
3. Add heavy cream.
4. In a bowl, mix together the salt, baking powder and flour. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients on a slow to medium speed until incorporated.
5. Flip the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and make a ball. Wrap the dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take cookie dough out of the refrigerator and cut off a small piece. Lightly work the piece until you are able to roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Cut to the desired shape. Bake for approximately 15 minutes.
- 1 cup and 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract or clear vanilla
- Food coloring (optional)
1. In a small bowl, stir together confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth.
2. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth. The icing should appear glossy. If icing is too thick, add a little more corn syrup.
3. Divide into separate bowls, and add food coloring to each to the desired intensity.
4. Dip cookies, or paint them with a brush, and let them dry.