Thanks to Debbie Shepherd, who submitted this recipe to Make It Better’s cookie contest. This gently spiced cookie is cinnamon-y and sugary delicious.
Makes 4 dozen cookies
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar (divided)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses (not robust)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Beat butter and 1 cup of sugar with a mixer for about 5 minutes. Once the butter is light and fluffy, add the egg and molasses.
2. In a separate bowl, stir together the four, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Add to the butter mixture and beat on a low speed until just combined.
3. Cover and chill for 2-3 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Form dough into 1-inch balls and roll in remaining sugar. Bake on a parchment-lined cookie sheet for 10 minutes.