This recipe was inspired by Money Saving Mom and my favorite burritos at Trader Joe’s!
Makes 15-20 burritos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small or medium onion, diced
- 2 pounds shredded cooked chicken (1 rotisserie chicken or cooked chicken breasts and thighs)
- 1 (12 oz.) jar salsa verde or tomatillo salsa
- 2 (4 oz.) cans of green chiles (Jalapeno, Serrano or New Mexico Hatch Valley)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon or lime, to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro, optional
- 2 cups shredded cheese (Mexican-Style blend, Pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, or Cheddar)
- 20-24 flour tortillas, fajita or burrito size
Optional: Additional salsa, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, diced onions or peppers
- In large pan, heat olive oil and sauté garlic and onion until softened. Add the chicken, salsa verde, green chiles, broth or water, and all the spices except cilantro. Bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer 20 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in lemon or lime juice, cilantro and simmer for another minute for flavors to meld.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the mixture onto a tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese. Fold sides in and roll up tightly.
- To freeze burritos, wrap each one in a paper towel and then a foil square (if you think you’ll microwave the burritos before eating) or wrap directly in foil squares (if you’ll be heating in an oven). Put them in airtight zip-top freezer bags, label, and store in freezer 2 to 3 months.
- When ready to eat, take out the desired number of burritos. For the microwave: remove the foil and heat 1 to 2 burritos for 1-2 minutes. To heat in oven: Leave foil on and place burritos on a baking sheet, heat at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Enjoy plain or with your favorite burrito toppings.
Recipe notes: Adapt this recipe to fit your favorite burrito filling, such as beef seasoned with onion and taco spice mix, black beans with corn and rice, or roasted veggies with beans and cheese.