Lauren Gold and Sasha Adler are the design directors of Nate Berkus Associates here in Chicago.
These chic gals know that once you get the furniture in place, then the real fun begins. Here are their tips for making a room personal and warm, but still chic and stylish.
1. Photos = personal. Add your favorite photos of family and friends, but streamline your picture frames. Go for variations of a classic silver frame.
2. Don’t be afraid of color. Add a cashmere throw in your favorite color. It’s brings vibrancy and luxury to a space. (Need some ideas? Check out: Time to Ditch the Snuggie: Our Favorite Throw Blankets.)
3. Mix and match. Never stick to a “color scheme.” Instead, use what you love. Have your grandmother’s fur coat or your favorite vintage rug made into a pillow. Vintage textiles go with just about anything and they add an interesting layer.
4. Incorporate treasures from your travels. It helps a home feel unique and well collected. (Here’s a great example from an Evanston homeowner: Worldwide Warehouse: An Evanston Loft.)
5. When in doubt, keep the walls neutral. Gold and Adler always go for a pale, warm gray or a true ivory. Let your furniture, accessories and art speak for themselves.