Falling is a common and serious problem for older adults. Approximately one of every three seniors will fall this year.
Here are some tips to lower the risk of falls at home:
- Increase lighting along pathways and entryways
- Install handrails on both sides of steps/stairs
- Install nightlights in nearby outlets
- Use non-skid mats or non-slip strips on bathtub and shower floors
- Install grab bars in the bathtub, shower, and at the toilet
- Install a raised toilet seat
- Install a handheld showerhead
- Only use step stools that have non-slip steps
- Increase task lighting
- Remove clutter from pathways and stairways
Simple solutions for the home will promote safety and independence.
Brought to you by: