Whether at work or play, back pain affects some 75 million Americans at some point of their life, according to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.
Back pain sufferers spend almost $2.5 billion annually seeking relief from their pain. Proper posture is the key to spinal health. It is the process by which the natural S-curve of the spine is maintained. When the spine is in a neutral position, muscles, soft tissues and ligaments are at their strongest state.
Whether one’s back ailment is caused by sciatica, scoliosis, a herniated disc or stress, there are simple solutions and preventative measures people can take to find relief, such as strengthening exercises, correct sitting posture and supportive chairs and mattresses, just to name a few.
Slumping puts stress on your back over stretching muscles and ligaments.
- Sit with your pelvis against the back of your seat with feet flat on the floor.
- Do not sit for long periods of time.
- Take frequent breaks, stand up and stretch backwards a few times to readjust the curve in the low back.
Maintain the natural curves in your back at all times.
- Wear low heeled shoes; high heeled shoes may cause the low back to arch excessively.
- Be sure to shift positions frequently and rest one foot on a low stool or shelf.
The natural curves in your back and neck should be supported while sleeping.
- Use a cervical pillow for your neck and a lumbar support for your lower back; make sure you are fitted with the right pillow.
- Use a lumbar support, or Relax The Back Sleep System to retain the natural lumbar curve while side or back sleeping.
- When lying on your side, place one pillow between your knees.
- When arising, roll onto your side and push up with your arms.
Taking care of your back should be a priority! It is the platform from which your arms and legs work, and there are ways to help you function productively and pain free. Make yourself aware of the above solutions and the many others that exist.
Relax The Back is the leading back-care specialty store in the country. Relax The Back offers an unparalleled selection of medically-endorsed, high-quality products that relieve the stresses that can cause back and neck pain. For a Relax The Back store near you or more information on their products, visit www.relaxtheback.com.