Chicago winters are brutal to homes, and smart homeowners are preparing in advance to help avoid costly repairs. “Take preventative action,” says Jeff Hester, vice president of Hester Painting & Decorating. “A little effort now will save you time and money.”
Hester suggests homeowners inspect the five following “hot spots” before the first snow hits to protect the value of their homes.
1. Painted areas — Walk all the way around your home’s exterior looking for exposed wood. Touch up any cracked, chipping or peeling paint.
2. Gutters — Clear out debris. Leaves and dirt can trap water leading to interior wall and ceiling damage.
3. Windowsills, steps, thresholds and decks — Flat areas are vulnerable. Replace any rusted nails and screws. As best you can, clear your horizontal surfaces of settling snow and water throughout the winter.
4. Windows and doors — Replace any worn weather stripping on exterior doors. Caulk windows to prevent mildew and keep energy bills lower.
5. Outdoor furniture — Move your painted or stained patio furniture indoors or to a garage or storage unit. If that is not possible, at least cover the pieces with a secure tarp.
To help identify areas needing maintenance, Hester Painting & Decorating offers homeowners a Winter Maintenance program. This includes a free, comprehensive review of the home’s exterior condition, including a detailed evaluation, cost estimates and timelines for suggested repairs. To join or learn more about the program, contact Steve Hester at 847-677-5130 or email [email protected]
Founded more than 45 years ago, Hester Painting & Decorating is widely regarded as a leader in the fields of painting, faux finishing, and exterior and interior maintenance.
7340 N. Monticello Ave.