Are you addicted to your styling tools? Is your hair showing signs of dryness or damage?
To protect your hair, follow these six tips from Andreas Hogue top stylist and design team leader Carla Makowski.
- Invest in tools that feature the most current technology. Inexpensive, out-of-date tools can damage your hair.
- Make sure your tools have temperature control settings, and only use the heat setting that is recommended for your hair type. The finer the hair, the lower the temperature.
- Use thermal protection products to act as a barrier against heat. Carla recommends Matrix Total Results Heat Resist. “We carry Heat Resist shampoo, conditioner and styling products,” she says. Heat Resist products are designed to protect all hair types up to 450 degrees. “We also love Pureology’s Fortifying Heat Spray and Anti Split Blow Dry. Aveda has some great products that not only protect your hair from the heat, [but] they will repair it, too.” From the Aveda line, try Brilliant Damage Control and Damage Remedy Daily Hair Repair.
- Make sure you’re using all your tools properly. Hold your blow dryer at least six inches away from your hair and use the correct brush for the style you want to achieve. A flat brush is used for smoothing, a round brush is used for volume and curl, and a boar brittle brush is used for smoothing and de-frizzing.
- Make sure your hair is completely dry before using any type of irons.
- Get regular trims and professional conditioning treatments to prevent split ends and to keep your hair looking its absolute best. “I recommend my guests get a deep conditioning treatment three to four times per year. This treatment is done by your stylist and it will provide you with longer lasting shine and smoothness than your-at home conditioners.”
Carla Makowski is available Wednesdays-Saturdays at Andreas Hogue Salon. Her works have been featured on Bloom, Pinterest, and in Modern Salons. Call the salon at 847-272-1616 to book an appointment or visit andreashogue.com.
Andreas Hogue Salon
Willow Festival Shopping Center
840 Willow Rd., Suite K, Northbrook