Wedding season is ramping up as we approach June.
You’ve probably been deluged with emails from stores with bridesmaids’ dresses and wedding gowns, but what about you—the guest? Make It Better has some tips for putting together the perfect ensemble to fit any type of wedding celebration along our shore or elsewhere.
Whether it’s a reception at a North Shore country club or an East Coast hotel, ladylike shapes and classic accents are fitting for that preppy nuptial on your calendar. A sweet a-line dress in a demur pattern or a bright color would be perfect for the occasion, paired with neutral accessories that have a bit of personality and glitter. Keep in mind the ceremony’s time when dressing for this wedding, so you’re not over- or underdressed. This look would be perfect for an afternoon “I do.”
- Cork handbag, $278, Kate Spade
- Jacquard Dress, $228, Anthropologie
- Patent Wedges, $198, J.Crew
- Pave bracelet, $118, J.Crew
A wedding with the backdrop of tranquil azure waters—embrace this as an opportunity to try out a boldly colored maxi dress, one of our favorite summer trends. On the shores of Lake Michigan or the Caribbean, have fun dressing up for this location. Remember, you’ll likely be celebrating on unstable ground, so be sure to pick a pair of wedges that won’t leave you sinking in the sand.
- Miguel Ases Swarovski coral earrings, $356, Bloomingdale’s
- Long dress, $995, Tory Burch
- DV by Dolce Vita Gold Wedge, $78.95, Nordstrom
- Tiki bar clutch, $358, Kate Spade
For a rugged country or mountainside event, you don’t have to pull out your cowboy boots to pay homage to the surroundings. Instead, acknowledge the rustic background with more subtle accessories like a beaded bag and turquoise jewelry. A flirty asymmetrical dress (longer in the back than in the front) would be ideal for this union of two people you love in either Montana or Starved Rock.
- Tuile necklace, $258, Anthropologie
- Joie tiered silk chiffon dress, $368, Nordstrom
- Stacked gladiator, $140, Banana Republic
- Barganza beaded clutch, $78.95, Lori’s