Getting a massage isn’t just a way to be pampered—it also provides relief to people of all ages.
Massage therapy addresses a variety of health conditions, the most prevalent being stress-related tension. Massage has also proven beneficial in treating sleep disorders, high blood pressure, diabetes, lower back pain, immunity suppression, spinal cord injury, autism, cancer-related fatigue, post-operative care, age-related disorders, infertility, eating disorders, smoking cessation and depression.
Here’s why: Massage offers a drug-free, non-invasive and humanistic approach to well-being based on the body’s natural ability to heal itself.
Massage has been shown to…
- Increase circulation, which allows the body to pump more oxygen and nutrients into tissues and vital organs.
- Stimulate the lymph system, the body’s natural defense, against toxic invaders. For example, in breast cancer patients, massage has been shown to increase the cells that fight cancer.
- Release endorphins, the body’s natural painkiller. For this reason, massage is incorporated in treatment for chronic illnesses, injury and recovery from surgery to control and relieve pain.
- Improve range of motion and decreases discomfort associated with lower back pain.
- Relax and soften injured and overused muscles.
- Increase joint flexibility.
- Reduce recovery time for strenuous workouts and eliminate subsequent risk of muscle strain.
- Relieve pain for migraine sufferers and decrease the need for medication.
- Reduce post-operative adhesions and edema, as well as reduce and realign scar tissue after healing has occurred.
- Contribute to shorter labor, reduce the need for medication and aide in quicker recovery in pregnant women.
Elements Therapeutic Massage in Bannockburn (Waukegan and Half Day Rd) makes it convenient and affordable to make regular massage part of your wellness. Call 847-607-8362 to book an appointment or book online.
(Source: American Bodywork and Massage Professionals)