Gift cards, clothing and toiletries are needed to help homeless kids in Chicago.
Safe Families for Children, part of the Lydia Home Association in Chicago, offers temporary sanctuary to children whose families are in crisis but who don’t qualify for foster care. They are always looking for more host families. But if you can’t be a host, there are many other ways to get involved.
When you donate gifts such as those listed below, you provide little extras that can make a child feel special and loved. All items listed below should be new unless otherwise stated. To make a donation, contact Julee Abarca at 773-653-2200 or email [email protected], or click here.
Gift Cards (used for birthdays, clothing and household needs)
- Payless Shoes
- Gift cards to movies, bowling alleys, etc.
- African-American Hair Products such as TCB Perm/Pink Moisturizing Lotion and Prostyle Gel by Ampro; available at Sally Beauty Salon
- Feminine products (Always with wings sanitary pads and liners; no tampons)
- Deodorant: solids with mild scents (nothing spicy or powdery) older boys in particular need extra-strong deodorant brands
- Bath-size soaps (e.g., Lever 2000, Dove and Caress)
Clothing & Household
- Underwear (sizes available on request)
- White polo shirts and Navy blue Pants (for school uniform; sizes available on request)
- Twin-size bed linens (sheets and heavy blankets; no comforters)
- Batteries (especially AA)
Infant & Children (children ages 0-5)
- T-shirts, onesies, gowns, sleepers and outfits (all sizes; newborn to 5T)
- Sippy cups & bottles
- Diapers and Pull-Ups (all sizes)
- Infant formula (powered)
- Baby toiletries (baby lotion, baby shampoo, wipes, baby wash, baby oil, powder diaper rash cream, etc.)
- Infant and toddler carseats
Urban Academy (Alternative High School)
- Student desk ($70 each) with a wrap around table (used desks are ok)
New or Gently Used Items Accepted
- Stroller (or double stroller)
- Pack n’ play