Hold on to that last gasp of summer with this healthy, low-calorie recipe from Wilmette’s Depot Nuevo.
It’s the perfect dish to accompany a margarita on the patio. Don’t skimp on ingredients; finding the freshest seafood is a must to optimize this dish.
- 2/3 pound peeled, deveined raw shrimp
- 2/3 pound raw bay scallops
- 2/3 pound raw calamari steak (we like the taste and texture better than tentacles for this dish)
- Approximately 2 cups fresh lime juice (enough to submerge seafood)
- 2 teaspoons each sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup each diced green and red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- For garnish: fresh avocado, lime wedges and tortilla chips.
1. In a non-reactive bowl, combine shrimp, scallops and calamari with lime juice. Add a dash of salt and pepper, cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours to “cook” the seafood in the acid of the lime juice.
2. Just prior to serving, add the remaining ingredients. Toss and let marinate for 15 minutes; stir, then serve, garnished with slices of fresh avocado, lime wedges and a basket of tortilla chips. Buen provecho!