This sandwich is similar to one at the Carnegie Deli in New York. I love serving these with matzo ball or chicken and rice soup.
Grilled Carnegie Sandwich
- 8 slices rye bread (1/2-inch thick slices)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup deli mustard
- 8 ounces thinly sliced pastrami
- 3 kosher dill pickles, thinly sliced
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
1. Brush one side of each bread slice with butter. Place on a work surface, buttered side down. Spread mustard on tops of bread slices. Top 4 bread slices equally with pastrami, pickles and cheese. Cover with remaining bread slices, buttered side up, and press gently.
2. Place sandwiches on preheated panini grill or in a large skillet over medium to high heat and cook, turning once if using a skillet, for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Substitute Thousand Island dressing for the deli mustard.
Want to win a copy of this cookbook? Comment below and we’ll randomly choose one winner on Friday, January 11. Check back because we’ll leave a comment to let you know who won and how you can contact us to pick up your copy.