Carla Makowski, Design Team leader at Andreas Hogue Salon, shares her tips on keeping your color-treated hair vibrant and longer-lasting.
1. Avoid shampooing daily.
Try shampooing your hair every other day or less. Use a dry shampoo, such as Pureology Fresh Approach Dry Shampoo, in between washes to refresh your hair and absorb oils.
2. Use products specifically for color treated hair.
Sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners work best. They gently cleanse and maximize color retention.
3. Use cool water to rinse hair.
This will seal in your color and create shine in your hair.
4. Always apply a leave-in conditioner.
A leave-in conditioner, such as Pureology Colour Fanatic, will moisturize hair and protect your color.
5. Avoid styling products that list alcohol in the top five ingredients (like mousse and gel).
6. Look for styling products with SPF.
These products help protect your color and prevent it from fading. Biolage Shake Shine by Matrix is a great choice. It protects, seals and shines color treated hair.
7. Never use excessive heat when flat ironing or curling your hair.
8. Use a deep conditioner once a week.
This will moisturize and strengthen your hair while maximizing the vibrancy of your color.
9. Never jump in the pool or ocean with dry hair.
Wet your hair down with clean fresh water first, then apply your leave-in conditioner to protect your color.
10. Get a professional clear glaze to top coat your color between touch-ups.
This will boost shine, refresh and enhance your color.
Carla Makowski is available Wednesdays-Saturdays at Andreas Hogue Salon. Her works has been featured on Bloom, Pinterest, and in Modern Salon. Call the salon at 847-272-1616 to book an appointment or visit andreashogue.com.
Andreas Hogue Salon
Willow Festival Shopping Center
840 Willow Road., Suite K, Northbrook