Kennels and Boarding Facilities in Chicago’s Northern Suburbs
Even if you don’t own a boarder collie you have to board the collie when you head out for spring break, summer vacation or next winter’s family get-away.
If you don’t want to end up in the doghouse, here are some questions you should ask, and things you need to know before you send your pet to a hound hotel:
- Can you bring your pet’s bed?
- Will your pooch be in a kennel all the time or is there playtime or an exercise yard or an outdoor run?
- Is there an extra charge for playtime? For administration of medication?
- Can you bring the hound’s favorite toy, bed, blankie?
- Is pick up and delivery service available?
- Is grooming included or an extra?
- What food will they get (you might want to send your own)
- Is there a webcam so you can see Rover roaming from anywhere in the world?
- What amenities are available? Some kennels provide music, others television, some deluxe rooms to make the boarders feel at home.
- Is grooming included or available?
- Can you retrieve your retriever on any day or only specific days?
- What veterinarian do they use for emergencies?
You might even want to make an unannounced visit to inspect a facility before sending a member of the family to live there while you travel.
You should also know:
- All boarding facilities will require veterinarian’s proof of shots for Rabies, DHLPP, Bordatella and a negative fecal test.
- Most require dogs to be on heartworm medication
- Cats must have Rabies and Feline Distemper vaccinations
- Most kennels will require flea and tick preventative measures
- If you provide food you should put each meal in a labeled plastic bag
- Write out instructions for any medication you pet may take
- Some kennels will require your dog be spayed or neutered
Huge indoor and outdoor supervised play areas, private kennels
Open seven days
A play date prior to staying is required to assess dog’s behavior
Grooming and day care also available
Carriage Hill Kennels
Almost 50 years serving pets and their owners
Indoor climate controlled/outdoor runs
Offers one-on-one playtime-extra
Rates vary by season
Lake Forest Kennel Club
Suites and kennels
Outdoor runs with fenced-in areas for play
All outdoor activities supervised
Day care also available
Indoor and outdoor exercise areas
Sleeping rooms include classical music
Staff on duty from 6:30 a.m. to midnight
Free bath with three nights stay
Dogs must be evaluated before accepted for boarding
Private indoor runs connected to large outdoor runs
Heated kennel floors
Pet’s beds and toys welcome
Cats accepted in “cat condos”
Tracy’s Doggone Farm
Heated, air conditioned indoor/outdoor runs
Play time available, extra
Best Friends Pet Care
Prairie View between Lincolnshire & Buffalo Grove
Kennels connect to private patios
Rates vary by size of kennels and season
One on one playtime available
Day care available