It’s a busy weekend ahead with a new exhibit at Northwestern, Andersonville Restaurant Week, a wine and whiskey festival at Brookfield Zoo, a new event at Chicago Children’s Museum, and more.
Opens Feb. 20
Artist Céline Browning presents this exhibit, a look at the overlap between children’s toys and violence, at Northwestern University through March 25.
National Margarita Day at Nacional 27 and Tallboy Taco
Kick off the weekend, and celebrate National Margarita Day, with $6 margaritas or two tacos with a margarita for $12 at Nacional 27 and Tallboy Taco.
Feb. 22 to March 3
Enjoy $10, $20, or $30 per person meals at 22 restaurants in Andersonville during this third annual restaurant week. Participants include Big Jones, Colectivo Coffee, Lady Gregory’s, Lost Larson, and more.
Try samples of more than 30 wines and whiskeys at this Brookfield Zoo event also featuring live music and Animal Ambassadors meet and greets.
Chicago Children’s Museum’s first SleepUnder is an after-hours event featuring kid-friendly snacks, activities, and a bedtime story with the museum’s Story Time with Drag Queens program.
The Mitchell Museum of the American Indian opened this exhibit featuring 26 new pieces from Native American artists around the U.S. earlier this month.
More Can’t-Miss Events:
- Baroque chamber ensemble Trio Speranza will present “With Harp & Voice: Handel’s Muses” twice on Feb. 22 at both Chicago Temple and All Saints Episcopal Church.
- Winnetka Community House’s annual Wine & Beer Tasting will take place Feb. 22 to benefit WCH.
- Dreaming of spring? Heller Nature Center’s Ecological Sundays Series — Gardening for Pollinators on Feb. 24 will get you ready for a new season.
- Kohl Children’s Museum’s pop-up museum in Waukegan will be open through March 23. Kids will be able to experience the Imagination Playground, Animal Secrets, an art studio, reading nook, and more.
Make a Difference:
- The Harris Theater Founders Dinner on Feb. 22 will honor Sandra P. Guthman, Joan W. Harris, and Sarah Solotaroff Mirkin. Learn more. Make It Better is a proud sponsor of this event.
- Join Let It Be Us, “a nonprofit dedicated to the adoption and support of children within the Illinois foster care system,” at its first Chicago fundraiser on Feb. 22 at Fig + Olive. Learn more about how this organization helps the approximately 18,000 children in Illinois foster care. Make It Better is a proud sponsor of this event.
- Celebrate Highwood‘s 3rd Annual Jazzed Up Dining & Classical Cocktails Casino Night on Feb. 23 will benefit Midwest Young Artists Conservatory and Celebrate Highwood’s operating fund. Learn more about the event and beneficiaries, and purchase tickets for MYAC’s Winter Concert on Feb. 24. Make It Better is a proud sponsor of this event.
- Boys Hope Girls Hope’s annual gala, this year themed Mardi Gras Soiree, will take place on Feb. 23. Learn more about the organization’s work.
- Help raise funds for Children’s Home & Aid’s Rice Child + Family Center during Graze & Raise featuring Chef Gale Gand on Feb. 23.
- The Cove School, which “offers highly-individualized instruction to children with learning disabilities from kindergarten through high school,” will host their annual benefit, Be the Spark, on Feb. 23.
- For the 10th year, Solstice will present CHICAGO Dance Marathon, an eight-hour event featuring a talent show, face painting, photo booths, and, of course, dancing to benefit Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago, on Feb. 23.
- On Feb. 23, the St. Francis Xavier Church and St. Joseph Church Blood Drive will be held in memory of Kevin Joseph Smith Burke. Pre-register on Vitalant’s website (the group code is 750B).
- Temple Beth Israel will host a panel discussion, Responding to Domestic Violence & Homelessness, with WINGS and Connections for the Homeless on Feb. 26.
- The Women’s Board of Lincoln Park Zoo will host its first Women Supporting Wildlife event on Feb. 28. Hear from Tara Stoinski, Ph.D., president, CEO, and chief scientific officer for the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund.
More from Make It Better:
- 28 of the Best Things to Do in Chicago This February
- ‘Novel’ Ballets: 6 Stunning Ballets Inspired by Classic Books
- ‘Black Panther’ Star Danai Gurira Talks Growing Up in Zimbabwe, Finding Her Passion, and the Drive to ‘Do More’
Anna Carlson writes the weekly Weekend 101 column and monthly Recommended Events. A graduate of the University of Missouri, her work has been published in Chicago Parent, Inside Columbia Magazine, and Central California Parent Magazine. She is a proud supporter of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.