It’s almost time for the world premiere of Joffrey Ballet’s highly anticipated “Anna Karenina,” and don’t miss a new Evanston festival, a City Winery concert, the end of Chicago Theatre Week, and more.
Based on Leo Tolstoy‘s novel, Joffrey Ballet, in collaboration with The Australian Ballet, presents the world premiere of this production choreographed by Yuri Possokhov with original score by Ilya Demutsky. (In honor of “Anna Karenina,” we wrote about five other ballets inspired by classic books.)
Evanston Hygge Fest
If you’d like a little more hygge in your life — a Danish concept, hygge is “a quality of coziness that makes a person feel content and comfortable” — visit downtown Evanston for a variety of events like candle making and flower arranging that will teach you more about hygge.
Don’t miss singer-songwriter Kandace Springs, who performed with Prince for the 30th anniversary of “Purple Rain,” at City Winery this weekend.
Chicago Theatre Week
Ends Feb. 17
Hurry, this is your last chance to see the hottest shows at theaters like Goodman Theatre, Steppenwolf, and Writers Theatre at a discounted price.
More Can’t-Miss Events:
- The Chicago Curling Club hosts the United States Women’s Curling Association’s 71st National Bonspiel Feb. 14-17.
- The Rembrandt Chamber Musicians present “Quartet for the End of Time” on Feb. 15 at The Cliff Dwellers in Chicago and on Feb. 17 at Nichols Concert Hall in Evanston.
- Chicago Opera Theater presents “The Scarlet Ibis,” called an “outstanding new chamber opera” by The New York Times, Feb. 16 as well as Feb. 21 and Feb. 24.
- This is your chance to find out what it’s like to be a contestant on “The Price is Right” — The Chicago Theatre hosts “The Price is Right Live” Feb. 17.
Start Your Weekend Early:
- If you still need plans for Valentine’s Day, the Chicago, Oak Brook, and Old Orchard locations of Roka Akor will offer a multi-course tasting menu with optional wine pairing on Feb. 14.
- Dine on some of Chicago’s best food during Savor Lincoln Park 2019, an indoor food festival on Feb. 20 that will also feature silent auction packages and the Fotio vintage photo booth.
Anna Carlson writes the weekly Weekend 101 column and monthly Recommended Events. A graduate of the University of Missouri, her work has been published in Chicago Parent, Inside Columbia Magazine, and Central California Parent Magazine. She is a proud supporter of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.