Foodies, this weekend will be all about bacon and doughnuts at two can’t-miss events. Plus, families will enjoy an Easter egg hunt with their dogs, fashionistas will love a catwalk helping the Great Lakes, and the Northbrook Symphony will present American classics.
Now in its 11th year, this festival will feature unique bacon dishes served by some of Chicago’s best chefs, bacon-inspired cocktails, and more. A portion of proceeds will benefit the Greater Chicago Food Depository.
Don’t let your dog miss out on all the Easter fun. This new event will give your pet a chance to go on a hunt for eggs filled with treats and take a picture with the Easter Bunny.
Sample some of Chicago’s best doughnuts at this festival in River North. Use code BETTER to receive 10 percent off your ticket.
This fashion show will feature outfits made out of recycled and upcycled materials, and guests will also enjoy hors d’oeuvres, drinks, music, and more. The event will benefit Alliance for the Great Lakes.
The Northbrook Symphony with guest artist New Tradition Chorus will present this concert celebrating the American spirit with pieces like “Battle Hymn of the Republic” and “Symphonic Picture” from “Porgy and Bess.”
More Can’t-Miss Events:
- Join the Illinois Holocaust Museum on April 4 for a celebration of its 10th anniversary. The evening will feature the premiere of Holocaust survivor Eva Kor’s interactive hologram (part of the Take a Stand Center); a champagne toast; and a panel discussion with Kor, museum CEO Susan Abrams, and Holocaust scholar Dr. Michael Berenbaum.
Make a Difference:
- Willow House’s mission is to “provide supportive services for children, teens, families, schools and communities who are coping with grief and the death of a loved one.” Support this organization on April 6 at The Benefit of Laughter comedy fundraiser featuring Ana Belaval, Paul Farahvar, and Patti Vasquez.
- Join Midwest Young Artists Conservatory, “the largest youth ensemble music program in the Midwest,” on April 6 for its Annual Gala. The evening will feature dinner and music and will honor John von Rhein, Chicago Tribune music critic, and Carl Grapentine, WFMT morning radio host.
- The Gratitude Generation Kids’ Board will host a Scavenger Hunt on April 7. Create a group and make your way through Highland Park collecting items for “survival backpacks” to be given to homeless children.
- The Newberry Consort’s A Musical Banquet on April 7 will support the consort’s 2019-2020 season through a four-course dinner and a live auction.
- The 2nd Annual NF Hope Concert will take place April 7 to benefit the Neurofibromatosis Network. The concert will feature “Jersey Boys” star Jeff Leibow and other local talent.
- Hands of Peace, which “empowers young Israelis, Palestinians, and Americans to raise their voices as leaders of change,” will host its benefit Seasons of HOPE on April 7. Hear from alumni, take part in the live or silent auctions, and more.
Anna Carlson writes the weekly Weekend 101 column and monthly Recommended Events. A graduate of the University of Missouri, her work has been published in Chicago Parent, Inside Columbia Magazine, and Central California Parent Magazine. She is a proud supporter of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.