Is your apple crisp recipe ho-hum? Time to wake it up!
Adding cranberries and fresh lime will brighten it considerably with the interplay of tart and sweet; the oatmeal-almond crisp topping adds texture and crunch. As desserts go, this one is health-conscious AND delicious.
Apple Cranberry Crisp Recipe
- 1 package (12 ounces) cranberries, picked over
- 6 medium Honeycrisp apples, skin on, cored and cut in 1” chunks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- juice of 2 limes, zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger nibs (find them at The Spice House)
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons each white and dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
2. In large bowl, combine cranberries, apple chunks, sugar, lime juice and zest and the ginger nibs. Toss to combine evenly. Turn out into prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
3. In food processor, place whole-wheat flour, oats, sugars and cinnamon. Pulse two or three times to blend. Add cold butter chunks and pulse a few more times until mixture forms pea-sized clumps. Stir in almonds. Sprinkle evenly over apple mixture.
4. Bake in oven for about 40-45 minutes, until crisp is bubbly and topping is golden brown. Remove from oven; set on a rack to cool.
5. Serve warm with a dollop of Greek yogurt on top. I’m guessing there won’t be much in the way of leftovers, but it’s also great for breakfast!