Serve this citrusy, smoky pork with tortillas, sour cream, salsa and avocado.
Cook time: 8-10 hours on low
- ½ tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 pounds pork shoulder
- 7 whole garlic cloves
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1 large orange)
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 1 large lime)
- ½ cup beef broth
- Corn tortillas
- Sour cream, salsa, and sliced avocado (optional)
1. Use a 6-quart slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the salt and cumin. Rub the mixture all over the pork, then plop into the slow cooker. Add the whole garlic cloves. Squeeze on the citrus juices, and pour the beef broth evenly over the top.
2. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or until the pork shreds quite easily with a fork. If your meat is still fully intact after 8 hours, remove and cut into chunks, then return to the crock and flip to high for about an hour or two.
3. Shred the meat fully and serve on warmed corn tortillas with the desired toppings.
Cook’s note: If you don’t eat pork, you can make this with a beef chuck roast.