Bananas are the perfect pick-me-up, low in calories, high in potassium. In this preparation, they’re still potassium-rich, but as for low calorie? Not so much!
This gingery, decadent treat will put a smile on your face and a spring in your step. Curious George would be jealous.
Gingery Bananas Foster Sundaes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 slightly under ripe bananas (still firm)
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- Coconut or Ginger Haagen-Dazs ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Bittersweet Fudge Sauce (recipe follows)
- Crystallized ginger nibs
Preheat oven to 375 F. Using 1 T of the butter, butter a shallow baking dish or jellyroll pan large enough to hold all the bananas. Peel and halve bananas and lay them, cut-side down, in prepared dish. Drizzle with lemon juice. Combine remaining soft butter with brown sugar and ground and fresh ginger. Dot bananas with ginger-butter mixture. Bake for 20 minutes, basting twice with butter sauce. Serve hot with ice cream and drizzle with fudge sauce. Sprinkle with Crystallized Ginger Nibs.
Bittersweet Fudge Sauce:
Yield: makes 1–2 cups
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3 drops pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. water
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking to blend, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Best served warm. Store the sauce, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week; reheat gently.