This is a super-easy recipe for chicken soup with a southwestern twist.
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 10-12 chicken breast tenderloins
- 1 jar of salsa verde (16 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons salt plus a pinch
- 2 teaspoons pepper plus a pinch
- 2 teaspoons cumin plus a pinch
- 2 teaspoons chili powder plus a pinch
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 can white beans (15.5 ounce)
- 1 can corn (15.5 ounce
- 1 can diced mild green chilies (4 ounc
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies, like Rotel (10 ounce
- 2 cartons chicken broth (32 ounces
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Optional Toppings: tortilla strips, chopped onions or shredded cheddar cheese
Place the chicken tenderloins in a baking dish with ½ jar of salsa verde, a pinch of salt, a pinch of pepper, a pinch of cumin, a pinch of chili powder, and fill with water until only the tops of the tenderloins are visible. Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes.
While the chicken is baking, heat canola oil in a stock/soup pot and sauté the onions and garlic together until the onions are translucent. Then add white beans, green chilies, corn, cilantro, 1 tablespoon of salsa and canned tomatoes. Add all of the dry seasonings and simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes.
Add chicken broth and continue to simmer.
Remove chicken from the oven and chop or shred to your liking. Add the chicken to the soup and continue simmering on low heat for another 10-15 minutes.
Serve soup hot and enjoy! This soup may be garnished with tortilla strips, fresh cilantro, chopped onions or shredded cheddar cheese.
Denise Gulgren is the founder of Goldie’s Scones, a family owned business in northern Illinois. Prior to making just scones, they owned a coffeehouse where they created this delicious soup recipe. They still whip up a batch to serve with their scones. Goldie’s Scones are available at Sunset Foods both frozen and fresh. Try this soup with their Cheddar herb, Sundried tomato pesto, Asiago cracked black pepper, or Mexicali scones.