Looking for a new holiday treat that’ll impress the masses? Try biscotti!
- 1 1/3 cups all–purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- ½ cup pecans
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 2 ½ tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ heaping teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon water
- pinch of salt
1. In the bowl of a standing mixer combine sugar and orange zest. With your fingers, rub zest into the sugar to release the oils. Add the flour, baking powder, salt and pecans.
2. In a small bowl, whisk egg with the butter, orange juice and vanilla. Pour into the bowl with dry ingredients. With the paddle attachment and mixer on low speed, mix until dough is blended. It will be very sticky.
3. Dump the dough onto a heavily floured work surface and portion into 2 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a log 12inches long, dusting with flour along the way to keep the dough from sticking. Set the logs 3 inches apart on prepared baking sheet and press gently to flatten until each log is 1½ -2 inch wide. Chill for at least one hour to firm up dough.
4. Meanwhile, mix remaining granulated sugar with ground cardamom. Break egg into a small bowl and whisk with salt and water. Remove the logs from the refrigerator and brush with egg wash. Generously sprinkle with spiced sugar.
5. Set oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
6. Bake logs for 20-25 minutes or until a little firm in the center. Remove from oven and cool. Transfer the logs to a cutting board and using a serrated knife, saw them on a diagonal into slices about ½ inch thick. Arrange the slices flat on the baking sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes until golden. Let cool
Store at room temperature in an airtight container.