In the time it takes to cook a pot of rice, you can have this dish ready. The spice blend provides a complex curry flavor without heat, so it’s family friendly.
For those who want a little fire, put a bottle of Sriracha hot sauce on the table—perfect accompaniment.
Quick Chicken Curry
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons safflower or canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (see Cook’s Note)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup frozen peas
1. In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium low heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. While the onions are cooking, cut the chicken into bite-sized chunks. Salt and pepper the chicken.
2. Add curry powder to the onions and stir for just a minute, until you can smell the spices. Stir in the cream and chicken and bring to a gentle simmer for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, yogurt and peas and continue to gently simmer until everything is heated through, another 5 minutes.
Complete the Meal: Serve over white rice. Sautéed green beans make a nice side dish. While I rarely recommend a big, buttery Chardonnay; this is one dish where a Chardonnay complements the flavors. Try L & H Cellars Chardonnay available at Schaeffer’s for about $17.
Cook’s Note: Highly recommend Sweet Curry Powder from The Spice House in Evanston.
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 pint heavy cream
1 small container plain yogurt (low fat is fine)
1 medium yellow onion
Curry powder (Sweet curry powder blend from The Spice House)
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
Safflower or canola oil