This is my family’s favorite soup and I make it a lot. No idea where it came from, but it’s delicious!
Tomato Basil Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes (28 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cans chicken broth (14 ounces each)
- 1 cup pastina pasta (a small, bead-like pasta)
1. Over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion, carrot, and cook until onion is limp. Stir in tomatoes, basil, salt, sugar and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Puree mixture and set aside.
2. In a small pan over high heat, bring broth to a boil. Add pasta, reduce heat to medium, and cook until tender (about 7 minutes). Stir into tomato puree. Heat until simmering.
3. Serve immediately with a crunchy baguette or grilled-cheese sandwich!