Etsy is an international online mecca for all things handmade, art, or vintage, and with the holidays upon us, it’s a great resource to find that one-of-a-kind gift.
However, with hundreds of thousands of merchants, Etsy can be intimidating to navigate. To simplify your search, try these tips:
- Be as specific as possible in your search. Use multiple descriptive keywords to narrow your results.
- Sign up. By registering yourself, you can create a “personal favorites” list to keep track of your preferred sellers.
- Ask questions. If you like an item but want it altered, just send a message to the seller using the “contact” tab. You’ll be surprised how flexible most sellers are.
- Browse the “Treasury,” which is listed on the left side of the page under the “Ways to Shop” tab. The Treasury is where members list their favorite items, so it’s a great way to find other vendors you might like.
- Ask for samples if you’re considering purchasing something like fabric or makeup.
- Check the seller’s feedback. Look for a seller score of 100%.
- Know the seller’s policies. Does the seller accept returns or exchanges?
- Use PayPal. It’s important to protect your credit card security.
Some Stellar Etsy Shops
Best Carryalls: Bees’Netta
Road Bag, $90
Best Leather Clutches: Marketa New York
Oversized Leather Fold Clutch, $119
Best Vintage Finds: Persephone Vintage
St. John Sweater Coat, $288
Best Baubles: The Deeps
Victorian Locket, $140