Running from the office to a holiday party—and don’t have time to make a hair appointment? Never fear!
We turned to celebrity stylist Ted Gibson (who counts Ashley Greene, Angelina Jolie and Anne Hathaway among his superstar clientele, just to name a few) for tips on how to create the perfect updos in a flash.
The French Twist
“I think simple, sexy French twists are the easiest updo to create,” Gibson says. “It should look sexy, not perfect—soft pieces coming down the sides of the face.”
How to do it:
1. Spray your hair with hairspray, concentrating at the scalp. Then blowdry to freshen strands and dry the hairspray.
2. Gather your hair and twist from the nape of your neck until the twist turns on itself.
3. Secure with hairpins and finish by pulling out a few pieces.
“Voila! A sexy, modern twist in a matter of less than 10 minutes,” Gibson says.
Want to see it in action? Here’s Ted’s French twist for Ashley Greene in InStyle Russia
The Ballerina Bun
For a truly easy updo that’s “both flirty and playful,” Gibson says, look no further than the bun. It’s one of the most versatile looks and can be styled anywhere from the nape of the neck to the crown. Gibson says, “If you have a lot of hair, be adventurous! Do a fun topknot and add a sparkly hair pin to it.”
How to do it:
1. Pull hair back to the desired spot (Gibson recommends the center of your head for a formal party) and secure with an elastic.
2. Wrap the ponytail around itself, securing with bobby pins.
3. Use a styling product like Ted Gibson Tame It Shine Lotion to add shine and control without stiffness or greasiness.
4. Finish with a shine enhancing spray—Gibson likes L’Oreal Texture Expert Perfect Shimmer Mist.
The ponytail? Really? We swear, it’s actually a polished option for any holiday party—and it’s super simple!
How to do it:
1. Pull hair back with an elastic—the higher the ponytail, the chicer it will look.
2. To give control and hold to your pony, spritz with Ted Gibson Beautiful Hold Hair Spray
3. For a modern, glamorous finish, Gibson recommends adding a headband with different-colored rhinestones.
Ted Gibson’s Final Words of Wisdom
- If your hair hasn’t been washed for a few days, don’t worry! Gibson’s Hair Sheet Styling freshens strands in no time flat.
- Use Klorane Dry Shampoo to soak up oil at the scalp.
- Any look can benefit from Ted Gibson Tame It Shine Lotion. It controls flyaways “and adds amazing shine!”
About the author: Jamie Allison Sanders got her start in the beauty world at a very young age. After performing as the Youngest Royal Child in “The King and I” at age 4—and being made to look Siamese with loads of pancake makeup—her obsession with all things beauty began. Now, she’s turned her passion into a successful beauty blog, The Beauty of Life. And yes, she still has her two Caboodles from 1991!