Hostess gifts are more about the presentation than content.
Beautiful packaging makes the recipient feel like you put a lot of thought and money into a simple gift, and makes the intended feel special.
With a few items gathered ahead of time, and a couple of minutes for assembly, you can put together a s’more kit. And since it’s summer, whether you’re going to a friend’s lake house or just over for a family dinner, it’s a perfect hostess gift.
- 1 bag of large marshmallows
- 1 box of graham crackers
- 3 large (3oz. or larger) bars of good quality chocolate, such as Scharffen Berger or Ghirardelli
The Container Store
These boxes are in the small box aisle, and the sizes don’t have to be exact; just graduate the sizes from large to small.
- 3 clear Lucite boxes: 5” x 2 ½” for the chocolate squares;
- 4 ½” x 3 ½” for the graham cracker squares;
- 3” x 4” for the marshmallows
- 4 wooden dowels that are about the thickness of a pencil; 5/16” or smaller
- 1 spool of red and white baker’s twine
- 1 sheet of decorative paper or wrapping paper
- Pencil sharpener
- Small saw
- 1 empty cardboard tube from wrapping paper roll
- 1 gift tag
- Scotch tape
1. Take your wooden dowels and cardboard tube, and saw them each in half. Put one end of each dowel into your pencil sharpener, and sharpen to a point, like a pencil. Tape up the bottom of the cardboard tube, and wrap with the decorative paper, taking care to wrap over the tape showing at the end. Place the dowels into the tube, and wrap the tube several times with the twine, then tie on your gift tag. These are the marshmallow roasting sticks.
2. Place the marshmallows into the 3” x 4” box, and line them up so that they all face the same direction. Carefully break the graham crackers into two squares each and place into the 4 ½” x 3 ½” box, all facing the same direction. Break or cut the chocolate into squares to fit into the remaining box, and carefully drop into the box in a stack.
3. Stack the boxes from widest to the tallest, and measure out the twine to wrap around it several times. Gently place tape loops at the bottom of the top two boxes, to help hold them in place, then wrap the stack of boxes up like a package, with a bow at the top. Beam with pride, as your hostess compliments you on your creativity, and be prepared to get invited more often.