With her predilection for head-turning colors and prints by way of classic, feminine shapes, Michelle Obama has established herself as one of the country’s foremost fashion icons.
She’s also proved time and again that, while she can rock designer duds with the best of them, you don’t need to spend a fortune to look like a million bucks. Here, we show you how you can channel the First Lady’s ever-so-chic—yet always fun—sense of style.
Easy, Breezy Dresses
Ms. Obama loves a good dress, and who can blame her? We appreciate that she favors striking colors and eye-catching prints, but balances her look by choosing dresses in classic, flattering silhouettes, like sheath and fit-and-flare cuts. Lately she’s been spotted sporting lots of reds, purples and magentas, like the floral frock she wore on the October cover of Essence Magazine, or her iconic Maria Pinto sheath that she pulled out for a recent campaign event.
- Eline Sheath Dress – Milly ($330)
- Max & Cleo Belted Ponte Knit Sheath Dress – Nordstrom ($128)
- Midi Dress – ASOS ($91.48)
- David Meister Pleat-Detail Sheath Dress – Neiman Marcus ($355)
Editor’s note: Ms. Obama wore this exact, adorable (and uber-affordable) checked Asos dress to a cookout for military families over the summer.
Ms. Obama often layers feminine cardigans over her dresses, but she isn’t afraid to have a little fun and mix colors and patterns. As the perfect way to carry your summer dresses into fall, do as the First Lady does and top them with prettily embellished cardies or knits in complementary hues.
- Outlined Celandine Cardigan – Anthropologie ($148)
- Contrast Cardigan – Zara ($29.90)
- Palazzo Cardigan – Boden ($148)
- Kati Beaded Cardigan – Kate Spade ($147)
When she’s not in ladylike dresses, Ms. Obama still steps out in style in clean-lined, no-fuss American sportswear. A pair of cropped pants, a blouse with a little ruffle and a pair of cute, patterned flats are all you need to embody her effortless fusion of simplicity and elegance.
- Lauren Chantille Cotton Ruffle Blouse – Ralph Lauren ($89.50)
- Vaneli Ranka Loafers – Lori’s Shoes ($98)
- Trek Pant – Trina Turk ($228)
One of our favorite things about the First Lady’s style is her ability to accessorize. Whether it’s a cinched, high-waisted double belt, a dramatic, baublicious necklace or layers of bangles, Ms. Obama finds bold, unique and colorful pieces that always make a statement.
- Adia Kibur Large Chain Link Necklace – Shopbop ($65)
- Teal Lucite Bangles – Alexis Bittar ($195–$345)
- MM6 Maison Martin Margiela Double Zipper Belt – Shopbop ($140)
- Halston Heritage Watersnake Belt – Shopbop ($95)
- Subversive Jewelry Yellow Sunburst Coil – Charm & Chain ($288)
- Lulu Frost Resin Earrings – J. Crew ($65)
- Felix + Adrik Spine Cuff – Shopbop ($108)