Who better to recommend this year’s hottest holiday looks than the fashion experts, North Shore boutique owners and employees?
We wanted not only to showcase their festive outfit picks, but also the women behind them, from proprietors of multi-generational, nearly century-old shops to the founder of a year-old boutique.
Lillie Milovanovic has been dressing three generations of North Shore women in lines ranging from the bright florals of Lilly Pulitzer to the timeless children’s designs of Florence Eiseman. Opening in 1990, her store, Lillie Alexander, Ltd., has become a Lake Forest fashion staple.
- Halston Heritage ombré flared skirt dress: $375, Lillie Alexander
- Kate Spade floral necklace: $198, Lillie Alexander
- Kate Spade floral earrings: $58, Lillie Alexander
- Manolo Blahnik flats: model’s own
Fradine Kipnis and Nan Kaehler
Four generations of jewelers are behind the success and creativity of Lester Lampert. The business has come a long way since Fradine Kipnis‘s great grandfather opened his first store in the city in 1920. From sketching to casting, the entire jewelry-making process is done under their roof on Oak Street.
- DAY Birger et Mikkelsson gray dress with brass beaded yoke: $330, Skandal
- Platinum emerald and diamond necklace containing one oval emerald weighing 2.12 carats with 112 diamonds weighing 0.72 carat and round emeralds weighing 0.71 carat: price on request, Lester Lampert
- Emerald and diamond 18-karat white-gold bracelet containing seven emerald-cut emeralds weighing 18.18 carats and 294 diamonds weighing 5.18 carats: price on request, Lester Lampert
- Shoes: model’s own
Another multi-generation store, Nan Kaehler‘s husband’s grandfather founded the business in 1920 Evanston as a locksmith service. With its customers’ growing demand for new steamer trunks, Kaehler Luggage quickly transformed into a retail store, now selling everything from luggage to easily packable clothing.
- Elena Kattan dress: $178, Kaehler Luggage
- 18-karat white-gold diamond necklace with 11.53 carats total: price on request, Lester Lampert
- 18-karat white-gold bracelet with 625 diamonds weighing 10.75 carats and rubies weighing 24 carats: price on request, Lester Lampert
- Spinning-ball ring containing 8.75 carats of rubies and 1.66 carats of all Ideal Cut Diamonds: price on request, Lester Lampert
- Marquise-shaped, inside-out 18-karat white-gold hoops containing 78 diamonds weighing 2.68 carats: price on request, Lester Lampert
- Stuart Weitzman satin heels: $298, Shirise
Katie Cory and Jamie Pawlow
Embracing her Swedish roots, fashion savvy Katie Cory opened Skandal in Winnetka more than a year ago. Carrying lines from all over Scandinavia, the boutique’s pieces are impeccably crafted and incredibly unique—Cory’s is the only shop in the Chicagoland area to carry many of the imported brands.
- Munthe + Simonsen chiffon dress with gold polka dots: $408, Skandal
- Charlotte Bonde brass necklace: $552, Skandal
- Charlotte Bonde amethyst and ruby bracelet with 18-karat vermeil: $310, Skandal
- Charlotte Bonde smokey quartz chandelier earrings: $375, Skandal
- Jimmy Choo gold glitter peep-toe pumps: $525, Shirise
Frances Heffernan opened its doors in Winnetka more than 80 years ago and has been lead by Allyson Bass and Maggie Barrett, who took over the business in the early ‘80s. Buyer Jamie Pawlow perpetuates the boutique’s reputation as the quintessential women’s fine clothier by selecting pieces that are classic and fashion forward. “I feel that the store has grown with the lifestyle for everyday women as well as the uniqueness of what you can find for [a] special event,” Pawlow says.
- Blumarine lace dress: $920, Frances Heffernan
- Oval, inside-out, scalloped 18-karat white-gold hoops containing 96 Ideal Cut Diamonds weighing 12.74 carats: price on request, Lester Lampert
- Carl F. Bucherer Alacria Diva watch with 52 sapphire baguettes weighing 5.00 carats, 82 diamonds weighing 1.30 carats and 154 round sapphires weighing 0.90 carat with a blue leather strap in 18-karat white-gold: price on request, Lester Lampert
- Oscar de le Renta lace sandal: $745, Shirise