Oh, what joy! Summer’s here and we’re much freer to live robustly outdoors — in sharp contrast to this time last year.
Vaccines are widespread. Kids and families untether from Zoom learning. The economy has reopened and “Help Wanted” signs pepper our neighborhoods. Home sales are hot, hot, hot. And so are home and landscape improvements.
We hope that you will find inspiration for your best life outdoors in this issue. We make it easier than ever for you to enjoy the lake, visit farmers markets, find new restaurants, plan to attend a local concert, envision fabulous home improvements, and support local treasure shops and organizations. We particularly recommend the examples set by our 2021 Most Powerful Women on Pages 30-33.
On the topic of inspiration, we hope you’ll enjoy our feature on Watergate prosecutor and Evanston resident Jill Wine-Banks, whose memoir is being made into a movie starring Katie Holmes (Pages 27-29).
As always, if you like what you read in our magazine, you will love what you find online. Better.net is the definitive source for a well-lived life in this community. From recipes, barbecue and picnic tips to summer reading lists and comprehensive information about all the communities we serve and you’ll want to visit, Better is your go-to-destination for recommendations for fun, family, and ways to make a difference.
And since we have your attention, starting this week Best of 2021 voting launches online on June 10. Our pandemic virtual pivot has taught us that your voice and votes matter more than ever. Please go to better.net/vote to vote for your favorites!
If you haven’t done so yet, please subscribe to our Better Letter email newsletter and follow us on your favorite social media platforms. You will find perfectly timed recommendations, thoughtful articles and true connection to your beloved hometown.
As always, we hope that you will send us your feedback, suggestions and photos of the places and people you cherish. We’d love to feature them! Just tag @betterchicago on Instagram.
Wishing you a joyful summer,
Susan B. Noyes, Founder & Chief Visionary Officer
Featured in this issue:
- New in Town: Wood-Fired Pizza in River North at Tree House, a Second Hometown Coffee & Juice Location, the Sable Hotel and More
- Ravinia Festival Is Back this Summer with Willie Nelson, The Beach Boys, and More
- Breakwaters Bring New Life to Winnetka’s Lloyd Beach, Just in Time for Summer
- Explore Nature and Celebrate Spring at Chicago Botanic Garden
- Expert Wealth Transfer and Family Estate Planning Tips to Help You Pass Your Wealth — and Your Legacy — to the Next Generation
- Father’s Day Gift Guide 2021: Local Items Your Dad Will Love
- Jill Wine-Banks Reflects on Watergate, Self-Doubt, and Plans to Turn Memoir into a Movie Starring Katie Holmes
- Chicago’s Most Powerful Women 2021
- A Malibu Villa Became an Outdoor Sanctuary for a Family During the Pandemic
- Peek Inside Some of the Best Private Gardens in the Midwest
- 6 Luxurious Outdoor Lounge Chairs and Sofas to Update Your Summer Space
- Revenge Travel: This Post-Pandemic Trend Has Travelers Packing Their Bags
- Boating Interest Surges as Summer and the Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac Approach
- How to Navigate and Resolve Family Conflicts — Strategies for Happy Family Life
- 30 of the Best Things to Do in Chicago and the Suburbs in June 2021
- Better Makers: Grammy Winner Esperanza Spalding Performs During Gala for The People’s Music School
- Kids Find Hope on the Water Through Rowing — Donate to Help and Double Your Impact Now
- Honor the 2021 American Red Cross of Illinois ‘Extraordinary Heroes’ Now and Double Your Impact
- Chicago Farmers Markets: Where to Shop Local and Support Farmers in the City and Suburbs
- Local Treasures: 4 Places to Eat and Drink in Evanston
- 16 of the Best New Chicago Restaurants to Try in 2021