Summer offers plenty of opportunities for listening to music outdoors whether you’re into rock, pop or classical.
But sometimes the unpredictable Chicago weather and other obstacles can get in the way of enjoying a set from your favorite band, so here are a few outfit suggestions from an experienced concert goer.
The key to rocking Lolla is staying cool. Whether you bought passes for the whole weekend or are just trying the one-day experience; dressing smart is important. Wear loose fitting clothes in light colors to beat the heat while listening to the likes of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Jack White. And definitely bring a big bag to store your water bottle, sunscreen and even an umbrella or poncho—the show will go on, rain or shine.
- Necklace, $59.50, Banana Republic
- Camelbak water bottle, $20, Dick’s Sporting Goods
- Dress, $96, Top Shop
- Day Bag, $88.95, Ricky Designs tote, Lori’s Shoes
- Sandals, $44.95, Gap
Think sophistication and comfort when preparing for an evening of opera on the sprawling grounds of Jay Pritzker Pavillion. A black jersey maxi like this one from Ann Taylor is ideal for maneuvering around the throngs of people, lounging on the grass, and looking city chic. Also, remember to grab a blanket or beach towel and a bottle of wine!
- Kate Spade necklace, $378, Nordstrom
- Jonathan Adler beach towel, $88, Neiman Marcus
- Gathered dress, $118, Ann Taylor
- Tote, $198, Marc by Marc Jacobs
- Sandals, $17.95, H&M
A North Shore tradition—summer is incomplete without an outing to Ravinia. A preppy, retro look is perfect for a night of picnicking under the stars in Highland Park. Be sure to sport a bag with a shoulder or crossbody strap because you’ll be juggling other evening essentials ranging from a cooler and camping chairs to a blanket and picnic basket.
- Bracelet, $28, Anthropologie
- Retro cooler, $62.95, Crate & Barrel
- Striped dress, $79.50, Banana Republic
- Suede bag, $258, J.Crew
- Sandals, $235, Tory Burch