Whether you’re headed to a summer barbecue or exploring the newly revitalized Navy Pier, this summer’s top trends make it easy to stay cool and comfortable while still looking glamorous. NBC’s “Grimm” star Claire Coffee models the season’s latest and greatest fashions while exploring one of Chicago’s most iconic summer hangouts. (For more on Claire, check out our exclusive interview with the Northwestern grad.)
Lady in Red
Go glam in a bold red summer dress paired with a geometric bucket bag. The best part about a dress like this? You can throw it on last minute and you’ll still look fantastic. Minimal effort, maximum payoff.
- Kendall + Kylie Poppy Red Dress, $575, Les Petits Joueurs
- Daliah Geometry Studded Bucket Bag, $1,235, Valentino
- Rockstud Leather Chunky-Heel Sandal, $995, Neiman Marcus, 737 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago
- Gold Falling Water Cuff, $125, Wide X Ring, $36, Juniper Boutique, 1346 Shermer Road, Northbrook
- Photographed outside the Centennial Wheel
The New Classic
Stay trendy this summer without having to reinvent the (Centennial) wheel. Colorful maxi dresses are here to stay. The combination of comfort and chicness leaves you ready to take on the summer heat in style.
- Nubian Desert Dress, $544, Associated bracelets, Juniper Boutique
- Prada Suede Open-Toe Espadrille Sandal, $750, Edie Parker
- Jean Confetti-Striped Box Clutch Bag, $1,195, Neiman Marcus
- Photographed inside the Centennial Wheel
Lace It Up
A romper offers the perfect mix of playfulness and polish. Add sophistication with black heels and simple geometric jewelry, and top it with a fun hat for sun protection.
- Alexis Alexandria Short-Sleeve Lace Romper, $499, Eugenia Kim
- Lillian Fedora Hat with Knotted Band, $355, Gianvito Rossi
- Suede Pointed-Toe Ankle-Wrap Pump, $795, Neiman Marcus
- Photographed at the Crystal Gardens
Nothing says urban-chic like a classic all-black ensemble, but be sure to have some fun with flair by pairing with a patterned shoe and a pop of lip color.
- Black crepe de chine St Tropez Blouse, $698, Leggiadro, 716 N. Wabash Ave., Chicago
- Gladys Tamez, The Gloria Straw Boater Hat, $305, Gucci
- New Jordaan Floral-Jacquard Loafer, $670, Givenchy
- Antigona Whipstitch-Handle Medium Tote Bag, $1,995, Neiman Marcus
- Large Spike Necklace, $94, Short Spike Necklace, $74, Pony Hair Bracelet Large, $76, Gold Snake Bracelet, $76, Juniper Boutique
- Photographed at the Promenade
Earn Your Stripes
Stay fashion forward by channeling the past. Rock the 70s revival with flared jeans, an off-the-shoulder neckline and killer heels.
- DL1961 Jeans, Joy High Rise Flare in Nirvana, $168, Juniper Boutique
- Derek Lam 10 Crosby Long-Sleeve Striped Off-the-Shoulder Top, $275, Valentino
- Pebbled Leather Rockstud Sandal in Deep Denim, $1,075, Neiman Marcus
- Photographed at the Chicago Children’s Museum