It’s a busy weekend around Chicago, with wine, whisky, and dessert tastings as well as a movie screening, art festival, Mexican Independence Day celebration, and much more.
Whisky, Wine & Swine Weekend
Revel Fulton Market hosts three can’t-miss culinary events this weekend: Whisky Extravaganza, with tastings and food pairings; Wine Riot, with more than 40 wine exhibitors and a variety of special programs; and Grand Cochon, a competition with chefs from around the country serving their best pork creations.
Begins Sept. 13
Enjoy Bavarian entertainment, “Oktoberfestbier,” food specials, keg tapping ceremonies with local celebrities, “Masskrugstemmen” stein-holding contests (Friday and Saturday nights), and more through Oct. 31.
This brand new event features Irish food and drinks, plus live music and entertainment and children’s activities like bounce houses and face painting, on Parkway Bank Park’s great lawn.
Sample tasty desserts from vendors like Beavers Coffee & Donuts, Bittersweet Chicago, Krispy Kreme, Nothing Bundt Cakes, Stan’s Donuts, Terry’s Toffee, and more while enjoying a night at Lincoln Park Zoo.
This festival returns for its 15th year with more than 150 juried artists, live music, a children’s area, the Lakeview Supper Club Culinary Tent, and more.
Opens Sept. 14
Goodman Theatre’s latest production is a comedy The New York Times says is “so clever it uplifts, so timely it hurts.”
Don’t miss Oak Brook Polo’s Cecil Smith Cup event, taking place alongside its first Wine Festival. There will also be a Best Hat Contest, Best Tailgate Contest, and Mallet Challenge. Better is a proud media sponsor of this event.
Celebrate Mexican Independence Day at Ravinia with kids activities, pet adoptions, mariachis, karaoke, and more. The day ends with a showing of “Coco” as the Chicago Philharmonic performs the score.
More Can’t-Miss Events:
- World Music Festival Chicago begins Sept. 13 and runs through Sept. 29 throughout the city. This weekend’s events include Ragamala: A Celebration of Indian Classical Music and ¡SÚBELO! — A Celebration of Pan Latin Music and Culture.
- Celebrate fall at Wagner Farm’s Bonfire and Barn Dance Sept. 14. Enjoy live music, dancing, wagon rides, s’mores, and storytelling.
- Don’t miss the new Printer’s Row Art Fest Sept. 14-15 with art, music, and food from South Loop restaurants.
- Watch a scrimmage during the Blackhawks Training Camp Festival, which also features alumni appearances, live music, and more entertainment, on Sept. 15.
- BIDE Market on Sept. 15 is “Chicago’s first sustainable, luxury shopping experience.” Shop jewelry, beauty products, clothing, home goods, and more while also learning about sustainability and ethical brands. (And Brand Director Mandy Lancia was recently named one of our 10 Influential People in Chicago You Should Know About.)
Make a Difference:
- Spend an afternoon on Lake Michigan while supporting Philanthropy Award-winner Selah Freedom‘s work during Rock the Boat Against Sex Trafficking on Sept. 15. The event includes gourmet food, an open bar, live and silent auctions, a DJ, performances by Lowdown Brass Band and John Vincent, and a survivor speaker.
Anna Carlson writes the weekly Weekend 101 column and monthly Recommended Events. A graduate of the University of Missouri, her work has been published in Chicago Parent, Inside Columbia Magazine, and Central California Parent Magazine. She is a proud supporter of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.