Ginger has a long tradition as an aphrodisiac. This version of gingerbread is so easy, you might serve it to your sweetie more than once a year.
To really make it sexy, add a little lemon zest or grated fresh ginger to the whipped cream. Spicy fun.
Serves: 9 (or two tonight and leftovers tomorrow)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup molasses (original or light, not blackstrap)
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Butter and flour an 8-inch square baking pan.
2. Sift together all dry ingredients into a small bowl.
3. Whisk oil, molasses, ginger, sugar and egg in a large bowl. Stir in flour mixture then add boiling water and stir just until incorporated.
4. Bake cake about 30 minutes.
A toothpick stuck in the middle will come out clean. Cool completely before cutting. For heart shape, use a cookie cutter.
Sassy Whipped Cream
Serves: 2 with leftovers
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon zest or grated fresh ginger
Put very cold cream into a mixing bowl. While whipping, slowly add sugar and zest or ginger. Use a dollop for the cake, the rest is up to you.