It’s filled with great recipes, including this terrific Taco Pie. This dish will satisfy the whole family, and it’s a good way to use up leftover roast or barbecued chicken or pork.
Serve it with a salad of mixed crisp greens, orange sections, cubed avocado, radishes and red onion rings tossed with a simple vinaigrette. Buen provecho!
Gluten-Free Taco Pie
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions, white parts only
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 16-ounce jar mild or spicy tomato-based salsa
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces thick, restaurant-style yellow or white corn chips
- 2 1/2 cups shredded roast chicken, barbecue chicken or pulled pork
- 1 cup grated mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions, green parts only, for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
1. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until translucent but not browned.
2. Add the salsa and broth, and cook, stirring, until the sauce comes to a boil, 5 to 10 minutes. Add the corn chips and stir to soften.
3. When the chips are slightly softened, add the chicken or pork and the cheese and stir well. Cover and bring to a boil, shaking the pan occasionally. Remove from the heat and let rest for 6 minutes.
4. Uncover and dollop evenly with the sour cream. Sprinkle evenly with the green onions and cilantro, if desired.
This recipe is from “Cooking for Your Gluten-Free Teen: Everyday Foods the Whole Family Will Love” by Carlyn and Sarah Berghoff