It’s National Peach Month, and not coincidentally, the height of the peach season.
So there’s no better time, really, to get creative with this fuzzy, summery, super-juicy fruit. Why not make this versatile fruit salsa, equally delicious next to a basket of chips, atop a goat cheese and arugula salad, or as an accompaniment to grilled fish tacos? This is your perfect summer salsa.
Peach and Black Bean Salsa
Makes about 6 cups
- 4 ripe peaches, halved, pit removed, diced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 scallions, cleaned and sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (or substitute 1 teaspoon dried oregano)
- 1/2 of a jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons each fresh lime juice and orange juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
Combine all ingredients in a glass or stainless steel bowl. Add freshly ground pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.