This recipe won last year’s Most Creative Sandwich Contest sponsored by Jif peanut butter.
If you have a creative cook (ages 6-12) go to jif.com for the entry form and rules. The deadline is October 11, and the winner gets a $25,000 college fund!
Chicken Quesadillas Recipe
Makes 2 quesadillas
- 2 tablespoons extra crunchy peanut butter (Mallory, obviously recommends Jif!)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup hickory-flavored BBQ sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tortillas
- 2/3 cup low fat shredded Mexican 4 cheese blend (divided)
- 2/3 cup roasted chicken, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely diced green onions
- 4 tablespoons frozen corn kernels
- 4 tablespoons tomato, chopped and divided
- 4 tablespoons cilantro (divided)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
1. Start by mixing peanut butter, brown sugar, BBQ sauce and lime juice in a small bowl. Combine well.
2. Place butter in large fry pan over medium high heat.
3. Lay tortillas on work surface. Spread 2 tablespoons of sauce over entire surface of each tortilla. Sprinkle about 3 tablespoons of cheese on half of each tortilla. Add chicken, green onion, corn kernels and half the cilantro and tomato on top of cheese (you’re saving some for a garnish). Sprinkle on remaining cheese. Fold and lightly press tortilla together.
4. Roll melted butter around pan. Place quesadilla in hot pan and grill for about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and allow to rest on cutting board for about 2 minutes. Cut in half and place two pieces on plate. Garnish with remaining cilantro, tomato and dollops of sour cream.