Stave off what’s left of winter’s icy chill with a piping-hot bowl of Vegetable Tortilla soup.
This flavorful, comforting soup tastes like it took hours to prepare, but goes from stove to table in about 20 minutes. It doesn’t get much easier than that.
We love this vegetable-heavy dish—complete with protein-rich beans—for Meatless Monday (or any day!), and it’s definitely not one of those soups that will leave you hungry.
Use Tostito’s Hint of Lime chips to intensify the lime flavor, and feel free to improvise with spices and veggies to make the recipe your own. Skip the sour cream and cheese to slash calories and unhealthy fats, and instead pile on the heart-healthy avocado. Trust us, you won’t miss those empty calories.
Vegetable Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 28-ounce can black beans
- 1 10-ounce package frozen corn
- 1 14.5-ounce can vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup crumbled Tostito’s Hint of Lime tortilla chips
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pit removed, cut into cubes
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion to the pan, sauté 5 minutes, or until softened, stirring frequently. Add garlic, chili powder and cumin. Cook, stirring until fragrant, about 30 more seconds.
2. Add tomatoes with their juice, black beans, corn, vegetable stock and water. Stir, and season with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper.
3. Bring soup to a boil and reduce to simmer.
4. Add tortilla chips, cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in lime juice, season with salt and pepper.
5. Divide soup into 4 serving bowls. Top with avocado cubes. Garnish with fresh cilantro and additional crumbled chips, if desired.