Beloved Sons and Daughters, I love you enormously and I am very proud of each of you.
Please hold that thought top of mind and deep in your soul. You are my greatest legacy to this world; I will love you for eternity and beyond.
If I die tomorrow—and even if I don’t—please remember the following as my mothering legacy to you (and please forget all the times I lost my patience!).
- Engage in the world with love and not with fear. You get back what you give out; love weaves the richest tapestry of life.
- Pursue your dreams and seek exceptional mentors.
- Seek not to lead for your own sake, but rather to help others.
- Be an active creator rather than a passive user. You will be delighted with how interesting life becomes when you get out of the house and do something each day.
- Make as much lemonade as possible with life’s inevitable lemons.
- Work hard and play hard. Laugh, sing, dance and look for the best in each moment.
- Relish good food and good company. Have as many family dinners as possible.
- Be a life-long learner. Seek out great ideas and great performing and visual arts; these will nurture your intellect and soul.
- Leave each place better than you found it.
- Forgive each other.
- Split my jewelry fairly and without too much angst. The sparkle inside you is far more valuable than the baubles.