Women and men of the North Shore long to have a better connection with their partners, but they don’t always know how to go about it.
Here’s a list of resources ranging from websites to exotic retreats that can help revitalize your relationship and make life more exciting.
Sexy Website: GetLusty.com
Founded by Chicagoans Erica Grigg and her husband Tim Walton, Passionly is a website for couples designed to put an end to boring sex. Couples can peruse articles focusing on 5 key areas of an amazing relationship: communication, technique, health, dates and adventure. Once you see an article that gets your pulse racing—for example, the pizza delivery role-play idea—you can note it on the site so your partner (privately) gets the message. GetLusty’s content is well-written, sex-positive and comprehensive. If you have a hankering to expand your knowledge or your repertoire, this is a fun place to start.
Sexy Field Trip: Weird Chicago’s Red Light District Sex Tour
Billed as the only Sex Tour in America, Weird Chicago’s three-hour bus tour with colorful guide and sexpert Sunny Megatron has received rave reviews. The tour includes stops at a number of blush-worthy Chicago locations you never knew existed, such as secret sex clubs, historical red light districts, S&M dungeons and more. Explore the naughty side of the city, and perhaps each other. If you have a group of like-minded, curious friends, this entire bus can be booked as a charter. The cost for the tour is $40 per person.
Sexy Workshops: TantraNova Institute, Chicago
Tantric yoga is not about crazy sex positions; it’s about connecting to and controlling sexual energy for greater pleasure in lovemaking and life. Founders and life partners Dr. Elspeth Mueth and Freddy Zental Weaver offer a number of couples workshops in their spacious Chicago studio that are designed to create lasting intimacy, love and fulfillment. I attended their 2-hour Introduction Workshop and it was relaxed, enlightening and not one bit embarrassing or graphic. TantraNova Institute, 2031 Warner Ave., Chicago, 773-525-5006.
Sexy Hotels: Downtown Chicago
This columnist has been a longtime fan of booking an evening at a hotel for an extra-special date night. In Chicago, intimate boutique hotels like The James and The Dana (pictured below) get high marks for sex appeal and romance.
Sexy Retreat: Esalen, Big Sur, California
Esalen is a retreat center located on the beautiful Big Sur coast that offers all types of seminars, including a variety of courses designed for couples to strengthen communication, intimacy and sexuality. Many notable sex therapists and practitioners come to Esalen to teach. My sources recommend instructors Michaela Boehm and Caroline Muir, both with upcoming workshops, but there are many courses to choose from. The breathtaking spot is famous for its hot springs, discovered by the Esalen Indians and used for healing and rituals for more than 6,000 years. The springs are “clothing optional,” which makes any visit a sensuous experience. Esalen Institute, 55000 Highway 1, Big Sur, CA, 831-667-3000
Sexy Retreat: Getting the Love You Want
Harville Hendrix and Helen LaKelly Hunt, both Ph.D.s and authors of the new book “Making Marriage Simple,” give frequent seminars that help couples reach new levels of communication and awareness through spiritual growth. Seminars are held on the east coast and in Arizona; the next one is September 27-29 at the Omega Centre in Rhinebeck, New York.
Other resources for couples:
- Books, audio and workshops by spiritual growth and sacred intimacy expert David Deida, author of “The Way of The Superior Man.”
- The Center for Mindful Living, helmed by sex therapist Emily Harrell, conducts intensive couple’s retreats in Barrington similar to the one depicted in “Hope Springs.” 330 E. Main St., Barrington, 312-813-7701
- Psychologist and sex therapist David Schnarch offers intensive retreats in Evergreen, Colorado for couples looking to resurrect their relationship and sexual connection. Marriage & Family Health Center (MFHC), 2922 Evergreen Parkway, Suite 310, Evergreen, CO, 303-670-2630
- Perhaps the most well-known marriage therapist and researcher, Dr. John Gottman and his wife, Julie Gottman, hold private couples’ retreats at their home on Orcas Island near Seattle designed to repair past hurts and help couples communicate better.
- For a sexy afternoon outing, visit G Boutique in Bucktown to shop sex toys and lingerie.