One of the most fun things about dressing for fall is figuring out ways to extend the lives of some of our favorite summer pieces.
After all, just because the days are getting grayer, it doesn’t mean our clothes have to. A well-chosen jacket or pair of boots can make even springy dresses feel appropriate for fall.
For summer, you wore: Pretty floral prints
For fall, add: A plaid jacket + tall boots
Temper a feminine floral dress with a menswear inspired riding jacket. While a blazer in a solid neutral shade will always work, we love mixing a plaid pattern with florals and adding a high wedge boot. Finish things off with a crossbody bag in a contrasting color for some extra pop.
- Schoolboy Blazer, $228, J. Crew
- Silk Watercolor Floral Print Dress, $150, Banana Republic
- Witt Boot, $189, Nine West
- Edie Pursette, $148, J. Crew
For summer, you wore: Jeans + a t-shirt
For fall, add: A swingy cape + a stacked heel bootie
Give the casual jeans and tee look a lush update by donning a voluminous cape. The key here is balance—with a lot of volume on top, keep the bottom streamlined. Skinny or straight-legged pants or slim skirts with tights are your best bets when wearing a cape or poncho. Elevate things even further with a sleek, heeled bootie.
- Aryn K Tie Front Cape, $98, Nordstrom
- J Brand Midrise Straight Leg Jean, $182, Cusp
- Striped V-Neck Tee, $29.95, Gap
- Carmino Bootie, $159, RACHEL Rachel Roy
For summer, you wore: Bright colors
For fall, add: A patterned blazer, tights + black pumps
You needn’t shunt the rainbow brights to the back of your closet in anticipation of warmer weather; rather, pair brilliant hues with a blazer in neutral tones to make it fall appropriate. Don’t be afraid to play with textures and colors: Snakeskin prints are also big for fall, and make a statement when worn on a jacket. Find complementary colored tights to achieve a color block effect, or go for a striking patterned stocking like oversized houndstooth.
- Monroe Bustier Midi Dress, $140, Shopbop
- Snakeskin Print Blazer, $79, Zara
- Wolford Cheryl Black Tights, $55, Stylebop
- Joan & David Jora Pump, $180, Nordstrom
For summer, you wore: Maxi lengths
For fall, add: A boxy sweater, ankle boots + a structured bag
Top off a long, slim maxi skirt with a contrasting boxy, nubby knit sweater and lace-up booties. Once again, you can wear brighter summer colors into fall if you pair them with darker neutrals. Add some structure to the outfit with a ladylike purse. The effect is all effortless, casual chic.
- Maxi Skirt, $39.90, Express
- Cable-knit Sweater, $34.95, H&M
- On the Ave Small Maryanne, $295, Kate Spade
- Andre Wedge Lace Up Boot, $136, Topshop