Mass Shooting in Highland Park: At Least 7 Dead, 35 Hospitalized

Editor’s Note: After an eight hour manhunt, the alleged mass shooter was apprehended Monday evening in Lake Forest. Law enforcement is still managing the site, and numerous businesses and roads are closed in Highland Park. A seventh fatality, age unknown, was confirmed Tuesday afternoon.

A shooter is still at large following a mass shooting in Highland Park Monday morning. Local authorities report that the shooter killed at least six people and injured at least 30 others.

Highland Park officials said in a Monday afternoon press conference they are looking for a person of interest named Robert “Bobby” Crimo III, a 22-year-old man from Highland Park. Crimo has been described as a white male with long dark hair and a slim build, and authorities believe he is driving a 2010 silver Honda Fit with a Illinois license plate number DM-80653. 

Police-released image of Bobby Crimo, a person of interest in the Fourth of July mass shooting in Highland Park.

“We consider him to be armed and extremely dangerous,” said Sgt. Chris Covelli, of the Lake County Sheriff’s Office, urging anyone with information on Crimo to call 911 immediately.

All six individuals killed in the shooting are adults, the county coroner said, while up to five children are among 25 who were shot at the parade and then cared for at Highland Park Hospital. The hospital treated and is treating shooting victims ranging in age from 8 to 85.

Other people injured in the mass shooting were taken to different area hospitals, including six to Evanston Hospital and four to Glenbrook Hospital, among others — making for at least 37 hospitalized individuals following the shooting.

Dr. Brigham Temple said only two patients — both in stable condition — from the shooting remain at Highland Park Hospital. Nineteen, he said, were treated and discharged. Some patients were transported to other area hospitals, including an individual who needed neurosurgical care. 

“It is surreal to take care of events such as this,” said Temple, an emergency medicine doctor for NorthShore University Healthcare, which operates Highland Park Hospital. “But all of us have gone through extensive training.”

Police are asking anyone with videos or photographs of the scene to call 1 (800) 225-5321 (call FBI) or Highland Park at (847) 432-7730.

Chaos in downtown Highland Park following gunfire during the town’s Fourth of July parade. | PHOTOS BY NORTH SHORE UPDATES/CAPTUREDNEWS

According to information given by law enforcement officials at Monday press conferences, the shooter fired dozens of shots with a “high-powered rifle” from a rooftop in downtown Highland Park around 10:10 a.m., just after a Fourth of July parade began at 10 a.m.

A Highland Park resident attending the parade told The Record that they heard upward of 12 shots fired at 10:10 a.m. before there was a break in the shooting and then another round of gunshots rang out. The witness, who wished to remain anonymous, said they were on the same block as the gunfire: on Central Avenue near 2nd Street. 

“By the time (the person) started shooting a second time, everyone realized what it was and started running,” the witness said. “We ran to the street to the back of us. We immediately turned from that direction. By that time, we could not see anything more.”

The City of Highland Park Police Department is leading the investigation working with the FBI and regional emergency units. Covelli said “hundreds of police officers are out here.”

Highland Park Nancy Rotering said the town was “terrorized by an act of violence that has shaken us to our core.”

“On a day we came together to celebrate community and freedom, we are instead mourning a tragic loss of life and a terror brought upon us,” she said.

This article originally appeared in The Record North Shore, a local news nonprofit.

  Who We Are       NFP Support       Magazine       Programs       Donate